Doctors Who Treat Pain
Pain specialists, or pain medicine doctors, are experts at diagnosing the cause of pain and then treating it. At Orthopedic Institute, we have two pain management doctors. Dr. K. C. Chang is a board certified physiatrist who specializes in the nonsurgical treatment of the spine and in electrodiagnostic medicine, and our anesthesiologist, Dr. James Brunz, who specializes in the treatment of neuropathy, joint, neck and back related pain, and spinal cord stimulator implants, also known as neurostimulation.
Pain management can be simple or complex, depending on the cause of the pain. This can require a wide variety of skills and techniques to treat the pain. These skills and techniques include:
- Acupuncture and other alternative therapies
- Interventional procedures
- Medication management
- Neuromoduation (Neurostimulation-Spinal Cord Stimulator Implants)
- Physical therapy or chiropractic therapy
- Psychological counseling and support
- Radiofrequency Ablation (Rhizotomy)
- All of these skills and services are necessary because pain can involve many aspects of a person’s daily life.
“It took my leg/feet pain away and now I can dance with my wife, play with my boys, and walk my black lab. I have not been able to do any of these things for 9 long years and I am so happy and so thankful to Dr. Brunz for bringing this procedure to Sioux Falls and Orthopedic Institute. I know people say this a lot, but he really gave me my life back.”
– D.W., spinal cord stimulator implant